Benefits of Regular Dental Cleanings and Exams
While the many benefits of dental cleanings and exams are typically thought to be simply better oral health and a more beautiful smile, there are other benefits you may not even realize. Preventative dentistry is vitally important to stay healthy, and scheduling regular dental cleanings every year is a great start on the journey to preventative dentistry.
Professional dental cleanings aren’t just for keeping your smile bright and white, they can have a significant impact on your overall general health. Insufficient oral hygiene has been linked to several serious illnesses including, but not limited to:
- Bone loss
- Cardiovascular disease
Brushing and flossing at home are essential, but to ensure teeth are healthy and thoroughly cleaned, you must schedule with Dr. Clark at least twice a year.
Here are some other benefits of regular dental cleanings in Burkburnett, Texas:
- Your dental hygienist can remove most of the stains that dull and discolor your teeth, so you’ll be left with a brighter, whiter smile.
- Having your teeth cleaned can prevent gum disease; gum disease, known as periodontal disease, if let untreated, may lead to tooth loss.
- In the United States, alone, one person dies from oral cancer every hour, but many cancers of the mouth and gums are curable if detected at an early stage. During your dental cleaning and exam, your dentist will perform an oral cancer screening, so you will have this done twice a year if you stick to your dentist’s recommendations for visits.
- Getting your teeth cleaned twice a year helps prevent gum disease, which can also reduce your chances of deadly heart attacks and strokes.
- During a professional dental cleaning, it’s easy for your dentist to detect early signs of problems such as broken fillings. When dental problems are caught early, there is usually less dental work required to correct these problems.
- Many dental plans cover cleanings, and you’ll save money on dental expenses by taking advantage of your insurance coverage.
- If Dr. Clark finds any serious problems during a dental cleaning or exam, we will check your insurance coverage to see what, if any, procedures are covered fully or partially. We can give you an estimate of what you’d likely have to pay out of pocket.
- Professional dental cleanings give your dentist an opportunity to compare the state of your oral health to that of previous visits. If you’re moving in the wrong direction, immediate intervention can help you stay on course.
- Regular dental cleanings will prevent bad breath, but if you already suffer from halitosis, we can take steps to correct this highly treatable dental problem.
- Regular dental cleanings also help lower your risk for infections of the respiratory system. Gum disease allows bacteria to get into your bloodstream and travel to your lungs, which leads to infections of the respiratory system.
- It’s been proven there’s a link between dental health and mental health. By keeping your mouth, teeth, and gums healthy through regular dental cleanings and exams, you can help improve your mental health.